What is PCOS?
Polycystic ovarian syndrome is an endocrine disorder wherein multiple cysts develop in the ovaries due to an underlying hormonal imbalance. These are not true cysts but matured unruptured follicles. It is one of the leading causes of infertility and many diseases in later life like type 2 diabetes and heart disease. PCOS causes a variety of symptoms like acne, hirsutism, weight gain, irregular delayed periods, hair loss etc. PCOS can be treated but not cured.
How can women with PCOS lose weight?
- Women with PCOS can lose diet by regulating their and exercising correctly.
- They should eat a low carbohydrate diet and choose foods with a low glycaemic index.
- A fibre diet is good for weight loss too, because it keeps one full.
- A high protein diet containing foods like eggs, nuts etc is also good for weight loss.
- Healthy fats like avocado, olive oil, coconut oil are also good for patients with PCOS.
- The importance of Limiting processed foods and refined sugars cannot be emphasised more for PCOS.
- Exercising regularly in the form of cardio workouts and weight bearing exercises, helps in losing weight.
Causes of PCOS
The underlying science behind PCOS is Insulin resistance. Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas which breaks down sugars. In people with PCOS, the cells of ones body become resistant to insulin. Therefore, the blood sugar levels rise, excess insulin is produced which in turn leads to excess of androgens or male hormones and difficulty in ovulation.